- The government doctors are currently on Strike making all of the government hospitals unavailable. Because of the situation, the Karanda hospital is one of the only hospitals open in the country. They are calling Karanda Hospital the "Last Port of Hope". Currently, the 150-bed hospital is expected to see around 150,000 patients if the strike continues. Here is a video on the current situation:
- In June 2019, the official inflation rate of Zimbabwe was 95.9%, but is much worse now.
- It is difficult to measure unemployment, but it is estimated that as much as 95% of people are unemployed.
- Sub-Sahara Africa has 43% of the world's poorest people.
- Zimbabwe Inflation rate for 2019 is expected to be at 600%. The US Inflation Rate was 2.4% in 2019.
- The United States has had sanctions on Zimbabwe for almost 20 years now. It is stated that these sanctions do not have an effect on the economy, but how would you like to do business in a country with sanctions imposed for almost 20 years?
- Zimbabwe is in one of the worst droughts in over a century.
- One of the seventh wonders of the world "Victoria Falls" is currently at a trickle because of the worst drought in over a century. https://weather.com/news/news/2019-12-13-victoria-falls-drought-photos
- Severe malnutrition has been rising in recent months. It is estimated that 90% of Zimbabwean children aged 6 to 24 months are not consuming the minimum acceptable diet. https://news.un.org/en/story/2019/12/1052621
If you can, please take the time to pray for the people of Zimbabwe and please pray for the Karanda Mission Hospital as they are trying to be the light in so much darkness that exists in Zimbabwe right now.